Friday, March 13, 2009

Frugal Friday: Where's the Cheap Beef?

Or the chicken, or the pork for that matter? Next time in you're in the grocery store try looking in the not so obvious places. For instance, in my grocery store you'll find the discounted meat way at the end of the display cooler. Tucked next to the employee entrance to the butcher counter I can find a treasure of marked down steaks, cutlets, or chops. Take a look around and if you don't find the clearance bin, ask!





Grocery stores generally do their markdowns in the morning, so you might want to get there early. And don't be afraid of the expiration date. Fortunately, meat doesn't know how to read so it doesn't know when to turn bad. Of course use your discretion, if it looks unappetizing don't buy it.



I use the discounted section to stock up on steaks and ground beef that I'll take home and repackage and freeze right away. When it comes to mealtime I can never tell which meat was marked down and which wasn't. It's all yummy to me.

No comments: